2017-2018 Education Budget Information
On January 26, 2017, I presented my proposed budget to the Board of Education. (2017-2018 Supt. Proposed Budget Presentation) The proposed 1.68% increase focused on maintaining all of our top quality curricular and extra-curricular programs, while continuing to progress towards our action steps as outlined in our district Strategic Plan. The focus of the budget was to efficiently align our resources and allocation of staff to achieve our strategic goals and ensuring our students are college and/or career ready, meeting the demands of the global workforce.
The 2017-2018 budget will be of particular challenge given the status of the State’s budget. As you may have seen in the media, $20,000,000 was cut from the Education Cost Sharing (ECS) grant for the 2016-2017 school year. While we did not receive as significant of a cut as other communities, we did receive a reduction of $119,000. We are concerned about additional cuts at the state level which could impact programming for next school year.
The Board of Education wants to make sure you are informed and have a chance to be involved in the budget process. (*see meeting details below). You are welcome to attend our budget meetings or stay informed through the District website and newsletters.
*Current meeting dates regarding the 2017-2018 budget:
- Budget Presentation & BOE Workshops
- January 26th Superintendent’s Recommended 2017-2018 Education Budget Presentation
- January 31st (Focus Schools, Curriculum & IT)
- February 2nd (Focus Facilities)
- February 7th (Focus Special Education)
- February 9th (Approval)
- February 22nd Board of Selectmen/Board of Finance Presentation
- Superintendent Budget Presentations to PTOs, Booster Groups, and Community Members
- February 8th BMS PTO at 7 PM, at BMS
- February 14th Rockwell PTO at 9:15 AM at Rockwell
- February 16th BHS PTO & Booster Clubs at 6 PM at BHS
- February 28th Johnson PTO at 9:15 AM at Johnson
- March 14th Berry PTO at 7 PM at Berry
* All Board of Education meetings/workshops are held in the Board of Education Offices, Meeting Room E, Clifford J. Hurgin Municipal Center, 1 School Street, at 7:00 p.m. (unless otherwise posted).
Please Note: Prior to the budget being set for referendum, 2017-2018 Education Budget Information can be found here and in the Superintendent’s Bethel Public Schools Newsletter each week.